Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Book Review: A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Welcome back to Musings of an Arthritic Artist! Today I'm going to be doing a book review. This review is for A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, which I read last year.


Let's get into the review!


A Princess of Mars is the first book in the Barsoom/Mars/John Carter of Mars series. Edgar Rice Burroughs is a classic author, also having written Tarzan of the Apes, which I have not read this. A Princess of Mars follows John Carter, a Civil War veteran from Virginia who ends up on Barsoom/Mars. 

This book is a classic example of 20th century pulp fiction. It was originally published in a pulp magazine in July 1912, so this book is now over 100 years ago. I was quite surprised that this book is told in first-person POV by John Carter himself. 

I was also not expecting this book to go by so fast. My sister had checked this book out from our local library right before the pandemic hit. She didn't get to read it, but I did. I thought it was going to take longer than it did, but I read it in one day, taking a total of about 17 hours reading it (though I did have to take breaks during those 17 hours to eat, so it was probably closer to 14 hours). It was a very quick read.

It was enjoyable. John Carter's voice was interesting. I don't really care much for the damsel in distress trope (as I've mentioned before), which was included here. This book also had insta-love/insta-lust vibes, which I didn't too much care for either, but other than that, it was interesting.

The romance was a subplot and didn't take over the whole novel, which I appreciate since I expected a science fantasy novel. That was (for the most part) what I got.

Overall, I rated this book 4 out or 5 stars on Goodreads. As far as classics go, it wasn't my favorite. However, it was a nice quick read, and it was an enjoyable sci-fi novel.

That's it for this review! I hope you enjoyed it! 


See you Thursday, 


Lexi K🖌

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged!

I enjoy hearing feedback or opinions by readers.

HOWEVER,

Every comment is moderated.

Any comment will be approved as long as it follows this blog's guidelines.

Any comments that don't adhere to the rules listed below will not be published onto posts.

1. No comments with profanity, vulgarity, or lewd content (if you won't say it in front of kindergarteners, elementary schoolers, teachers, or your grandmother, don't say it here; keep language G)

2. No spam comments

3. Keep comments on-topic

4. No derogatory comments (i.e. ableism, colorism, racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, or transphobia [though not limited to the examples listed here])

5. No attacks to any particular group of religious peoples (including, but not limited to: Anti-Catholicism, Anti-Christianity, Anti-Muslim, and Anti-Semitism)

Thank you for your cooperation!

Happy commenting! =D