Thursday, March 24, 2022

Book Review: Daughter of the Deep by Rick Riordan (spoiler filled review)

Welcome back to Musings of an Arthritic Artist! Today I'm going to be doing a book review. This review is for Daughter of the Deep by Rick Riordan, which I finished reading earlier this week. 


This review will be partly spoiler free, however there will be a spoiler section toward the end of this review.


Let's get into the review!


Daughter of the Deep is a Middle Grade/YA novel that follows Ana Dakkar, a freshman at Harding-Pencroft Academy (HP for short). This book is inspired by 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne. 

I loved every single character in this book. 

This story is told from 1st person point-of-view from Ana's perspective. 

This book has a pretty diverse cast. Ana, the protagonist, is of Indian descent and follows Hinduism. Gemini Twain, prefect of House Shark, is a Black Mormon. One of Ana's best friends, Nelinha da Silva, is Brazilian. Ana's other best friend, Ester Harding, is autistic, has an anxiety disorder, and has an emotional support dog named Top. 

πŸ’₯πŸ”₯SPOILER ALERTπŸ”₯πŸ’₯
Anything below this is a spoiler
You have been warned
___________________________________________________

I absolutely loved the characters in this story, particularly Ana, Gemini, and Franklin. Gemini was probably my second favorite character after Ana. I loved the way Ana's and Gemini's friendship formed and developed from the beginning of the novel to the end of it.

I also loved the character descriptions. I tend to have a hard time imagining characters and imagining scenes, so the description of Gemini looking like Miles Morales really helped, seeing as I know what Miles Morales looks like.
___________________________________________________

I hated the ending. It was bad and tragic, and I didn't like it. I know that in real life, many children with medical conditions die. I know that. I just didn't like how it happened randomly. There was buildup, but at the same time, there wasn't. 

___________________________________________________


___________________________________________________
πŸ‘SPOILERS OVERπŸ‘

Overall, I loved Daughter of the Deep. I rated it 5 out of 5 stars on my Goodreads. It was fantastic, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves Rick Riordan books or books with aquatic/marine themes. I loved these characters, and I loved the plot. This is definitely the best book I've read so far this year.

That's it for this review! I hope you enjoyed it! 


Until next time, 


Lexi KπŸ–Œ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged!

I enjoy hearing feedback or opinions by readers.

HOWEVER,

Every comment is moderated.

Any comment will be approved as long as it follows this blog's guidelines.

Any comments that don't adhere to the rules listed below will not be published onto posts.

1. No comments with profanity, vulgarity, or lewd content (if you won't say it in front of kindergarteners, elementary schoolers, teachers, or your grandmother, don't say it here; keep language G)

2. No spam comments

3. Keep comments on-topic

4. No derogatory comments (i.e. ableism, colorism, racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, or transphobia [though not limited to the examples listed here])

5. No attacks to any particular group of religious peoples (including, but not limited to: Anti-Catholicism, Anti-Christianity, Anti-Muslim, and Anti-Semitism)

Thank you for your cooperation!

Happy commenting! =D