Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Book Review: Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl

Welcome back to Musings of an Arthritic Artist! Today I am going to be doing another book review, this one a review of Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl.


This review will predominantly be spoiler-free, however, there will be a minor spoiler section.


With that aside, let's get into the review!


Fantastic Mr. Fox is a children's/middle grade novel about three villains who wish to kill a fox and that same fox trying to escape harm. The story in of itself is very simplistic in nature. 

 ________________________________________

This is the second Roald Dahl book I've read, and it's the first I've read in about a decade. My last exploration into Roald Dahl's literature was Matilda in the summer of 2013, when I was the mere age of 10. I loved that book. I have to say that I didn't like this one nearly as much, but it was still fun. 

The writing was simplistic, but it was enjoyable and it got the job done so I don't feel as if I can complain too much, especially since this is a book written for children. However, as far as classic children's authors go, I much prefer E.B. White's writing and storytelling to Mr. Dahl's.

Let's get into the spoiler-esque elements.

________________________________________

💥🔥SPOILER ALERT🔥💥
Anything below this is a spoiler
You have been warned
___________________________________________________
___________________________________________________

Honestly, I have a feeling that I would've abhorred this book as a child. I've always been incredibly empathetic, and the main focus of this book is three men who try to kill a fox. That is the entire plot. It's about a fox trying to avoid being killed. There are more adult-ish themes (cigar smoking and gun use) in this book, though that is largely a product of its time.

I also think I would've hated the part where Boggis, Bunce, and Bean shoot off his tail, and I have a feeling that I likely would've cried or put the book down, fearing the violence in it. 

___________________________________________________
___________________________________________________
👍SPOILERS OVER👍

Overall, this book was enjoyable. It wasn't the best book I've ever read, but it wasn't the worst. It was a quick read that didn't bore be. This book would've probably taken me a lot longer as a child, so I'm glad I read it at an older age. I rate Fantastic Mr. Fox 3.5 out of 5 stars.

That's it for this review! I hope you enjoyed it! 


See you Thursday, 


Lexi K🖌

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged!

I enjoy hearing feedback or opinions by readers.

HOWEVER,

Every comment is moderated.

Any comment will be approved as long as it follows this blog's guidelines.

Any comments that don't adhere to the rules listed below will not be published onto posts.

1. No comments with profanity, vulgarity, or lewd content (if you won't say it in front of kindergarteners, elementary schoolers, teachers, or your grandmother, don't say it here; keep language G)

2. No spam comments

3. Keep comments on-topic

4. No derogatory comments (i.e. ableism, colorism, racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, or transphobia [though not limited to the examples listed here])

5. No attacks to any particular group of religious peoples (including, but not limited to: Anti-Catholicism, Anti-Christianity, Anti-Muslim, and Anti-Semitism)

Thank you for your cooperation!

Happy commenting! =D