Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Book Review: Angie and Me by Rebecca C. Jones

Welcome back to Musings of an Arthritic Artist! Today I am going to be doing another book review, this one a review of Angie and Me by Rebecca C. Jones.


This review will predominantly be spoiler-free, however, there will be a spoiler section toward the end of this post.


With that aside, let's get into the review!


This book is a middle grade novel. It follows 12 year old Jenna, who ends up staying at a children’s hospital while being treated for juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. While there she meets another girl, Angie, who has a rare blood disorder (it’s never specified what it’s called). 

I read this because the main girl has juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. I wanted to see if I related to it. 

As far as relatability, there wasn’t a lot. Only partially. At least in my case. I related to the pain Jenna felt, but everything else, not really.

Jenna is told to use a walker. I’ve never used a walker. She was given a wheelchair to use. I’ve only used a wheelchair once, and I hated the looks of other people, so I refused one, instead using other mobility options. I’ve also never had splints like the ones Jenna had. I do have braces, but I’ve never had to stay at a hospital for treatment.

Truthfully, while this book’s protagonist is Jenna, this book truthfully seems to be about Angie, the girl Jenna meets at the hospital. 

💥🔥SPOILER ALERT🔥💥
Anything below this is a spoiler
You have been warned
___________________________________________________
___________________________________________________

I hated the ending. It was bad and tragic, and I didn't like it. I know that in real life, many children with medical conditions die. I know that. I just didn't like how it happened randomly. There was buildup, but at the same time, there wasn't. 

___________________________________________________
___________________________________________________
👍SPOILERS OVER👍


Overall, I enjoyed this book. It wasn’t perfect. I hated the ending, and I know that I would’ve hated it even more if I had read this book as a child.

That's it for this review! I hope you enjoyed it! 


See you Thursday, 


Lexi K🖌

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged!

I enjoy hearing feedback or opinions by readers.

HOWEVER,

Every comment is moderated.

Any comment will be approved as long as it follows this blog's guidelines.

Any comments that don't adhere to the rules listed below will not be published onto posts.

1. No comments with profanity, vulgarity, or lewd content (if you won't say it in front of kindergarteners, elementary schoolers, teachers, or your grandmother, don't say it here; keep language G)

2. No spam comments

3. Keep comments on-topic

4. No derogatory comments (i.e. ableism, colorism, racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, or transphobia [though not limited to the examples listed here])

5. No attacks to any particular group of religious peoples (including, but not limited to: Anti-Catholicism, Anti-Christianity, Anti-Muslim, and Anti-Semitism)

Thank you for your cooperation!

Happy commenting! =D