Thursday, October 7, 2021

Book Review: Journey to the Alamo by Melodie A. Cuate

Welcome back to Musings of an Arthritic Artist! Today I'm going to be doing a book review. This review is for Journey to the Alamo by Melodie A. Cuate. 


Let's get into the review!


Journey to the Alamo is a Middle Grade historical fiction novel involving the Alamo. This is the first book in the Mr. Barrington's Mysterious Trunk series, a series that follows siblings Nick and Hannah as well as Hannah's best friend, Jackie, as they travel to different parts of Texas history through Hannah's teacher's trunk. 

My parents bought me this book when my family and I went to the Alamo in either 2012 or 2014 (I don't remember). I had started reading it then, but I was too young and got bored. I read it this year and really enjoyed it. 

This story follows Hannah, a seventh grader. A new history teacher is at her school named Mr. Barrington. He carries around a mysterious trunk. This trunk ends up being a portal to the past and Hannah, her older brother Nick, and her best friend Jackie are transported to the past. Particularly, March 1836, the exact month the Battle of the Alamo ended between the Texians and Mexicans. 

This book was very enjoyable. I liked the historical component to it, and I enjoyed the characters. I particularly enjoyed Hannah and Nick. This book kind of had an automatic advantage in my book as I tend to enjoy reading books that have siblings in them (as long as there's no incest). I don't know why, but I found that out last year when I realized a commonality between most of my favorite books and why they were my favorites.

I gave it 5 out of 5 stars on my Goodreads. Overall, it was a really enjoyable read. It took me long than anticipated to finish it, but I did get through it. The writing was very simplistic, but it's a Children's/Middle Grade novel, so I don't expect it to read like Pride and Prejudice or even Harry Potter as the genres and age ranges are completely different. I liked reading about Hannah, Nick, and Jackie and hope the other books in this series are just as good, if not better.

That's it for this review! I hope you enjoyed it! It's a very short review compared to most reviews I write, but because this book is so short (144 pages), I can't really say much about it without spoiling it.


Until next time, 


Lexi K🖌

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged!

I enjoy hearing feedback or opinions by readers.

HOWEVER,

Every comment is moderated.

Any comment will be approved as long as it follows this blog's guidelines.

Any comments that don't adhere to the rules listed below will not be published onto posts.

1. No comments with profanity, vulgarity, or lewd content (if you won't say it in front of kindergarteners, elementary schoolers, teachers, or your grandmother, don't say it here; keep language G)

2. No spam comments

3. Keep comments on-topic

4. No derogatory comments (i.e. ableism, colorism, racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, or transphobia [though not limited to the examples listed here])

5. No attacks to any particular group of religious peoples (including, but not limited to: Anti-Catholicism, Anti-Christianity, Anti-Muslim, and Anti-Semitism)

Thank you for your cooperation!

Happy commenting! =D