Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Book Review: Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia (spoiler filled review)

Welcome back to Musings of an Arthritic Artist! Today I'm going to be doing another book review. This review is for Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia. 


This is going to be a spoiler-filled review, so if you've never read this book and wish to, I'd recommend not reading this review.


Let's get into the review!


Eliza and Her Monsters was a pretty recent read for me. I read this book this year. 

This story follows Eliza Mirk, an eighteen-year-old girl. She's the anonymous webcomic creator of Monstrous Sea. In real life, Eliza is shy, friendless, and has anxiety, but online she is LadyConstellation and has millions of followers and fans. 

Her world is changed when a boy named Wallace Warland transfers to her school. Wallace writes fanfiction for Monstrous Sea. The two become friends, but Eliza doesn't tell him that she is LadyConstellation, the creator of the exact web comic he is a fan of. 
________________________________________

I loved Eliza. She was incredibly relatable and likeable. Wallace was a great love interest. In a lot of contemporary romance YA books I read, I don't tend to understand why the love interest of the main character gets so mad during the climax. A lot of times, the reasoning doesn't make sense. 

In this book though, I understood why Wallace got so upset after finding out that Eliza was LadyConstellation, even though I got angry with how much he was ignoring and getting frustrated with her. I was glad that the anger/climax was at least shorter than other books I've read. 

I really liked Church and Sully, Eliza's younger twin brothers. Sometimes the siblings in books don't feel like siblings. Church and Sully were written very well. They messed with Eliza, occasionally giving her a hard time, but they were there for her after their parents let Eliza's identity out. 
________________________________________

I loved this book. It was incredibly enjoyable. I tend to have a difficult time finding contemporary/realistic fiction YA novels that I actually like or don't get bored with. Because I am so artistic myself, this book really spoke to me. It was a fantastic tale of love, art, and fandom. I've heard so many good things about this book, and I am so glad I read it.

I particularly loved Chapter 34. This was a much better Chapter 34 than other Chapter 34s I've read in the past year (The Burning Maze by Rick Riordan killed me, particularly chapters 33 and 34). It was really nice for Eliza to find out that her brothers didn't hate her and that they even read Monstrous Sea.

I found this book incredibly unique. It had a charm to it. It's ironic because I started reading this around the same time I began reading Lore Olympus, a Webtoon webcomic by Rachel Smythe that I found out about when my sister needed to write an article about it for her job. 
________________________________________

Overall, Eliza and Her Monsters was a fantastic book. This is the first YA contemporary/realistic fiction novel I've read and enjoyed this much as the other contemporary/realistic fiction books I've enjoyed were Middle Grade novels (What Stars Are Made Of and Rebel McKenzie). I did like another YA contemporary romance novel I read last year, but I like this one even more.

That's it for this review! I hope you enjoyed it! 


See you Thursday, 


Lexi K🖌

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged!

I enjoy hearing feedback or opinions by readers.

HOWEVER,

Every comment is moderated.

Any comment will be approved as long as it follows this blog's guidelines.

Any comments that don't adhere to the rules listed below will not be published onto posts.

1. No comments with profanity, vulgarity, or lewd content (if you won't say it in front of kindergarteners, elementary schoolers, teachers, or your grandmother, don't say it here; keep language G)

2. No spam comments

3. Keep comments on-topic

4. No derogatory comments (i.e. ableism, colorism, racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, or transphobia [though not limited to the examples listed here])

5. No attacks to any particular group of religious peoples (including, but not limited to: Anti-Catholicism, Anti-Christianity, Anti-Muslim, and Anti-Semitism)

Thank you for your cooperation!

Happy commenting! =D