Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Book Review: The Perfect Date by R.L. Stine (mostly spoiler free)

Welcome back to Musings of an Arthritic Artist! Today I am going to be doing another book review, this one a review of The Perfect Date by R.L. Stine.


This is a book I read finished less than a week ago, so it's pretty fresh in my mind. This review will predominantly be spoiler-free, however, there will be a spoiler section toward the end of this post.


With that aside, let's get into the review!


The Perfect Date is a Fear Street novel. It's a YA paranormal horror book. It follows Brady Karlin, a senior at Shadyside High School. After the tragic death of his girlfriend in a sledding accident a year before the main events of the novel, he has a new girlfriend named Allie. However, he soon meets a girl named Rosha and proceeds to want to engage in a romantic relationship with her. Accidents keep happening though. Accidents that only happen when Rosha is around. Brady also keeps seeing a girl with a scarred face whom he is terrified of. 

 ________________________________________

I found Brady to be extremely unlikable. There wasn't honestly anything redeemable about him, though I know that was R.L. Stine's intention. I didn't like how obsessive Brady was. It was annoying. I'm just glad this story was in third person from Brady's POV and not first person from Brady's POV as I likely would've struggled to get through it even more. I also didn't like how Brady cheated on Allie. He should've just broken up with her before he met up with Rosha. 

My favorite character was Jon, Brady's best friend. He was sensible. I liked the relationship he and Brady had. I also liked how Jon pointed out how wrong Brady was for not breaking up with Allie while seeing another girl. Jon was a nice voice of reason who honestly could've helped out Brady a lot if the guy had just listened to him.

________________________________________

This book was surprisingly dark and gruesome. I've read one other Fear Street novel before, and it wasn't as gruesome as this one was. It wasn't overly graphic or anything, but the prologue talks about how mangled Sharon's--Brady's bereaved girlfriend--face and body were after her sledding accident. 

Once that happened, I knew the story was going to be dark. There were also mentions of limbs breaking off of characters during the climax, which wasn't the most pleasant thing to read if I'm being completely honest. It was dark, gruesome, and grim. It's the exact thing I would've expected in an R.L. Stine book written for teens.

πŸ’₯πŸ”₯SPOILER ALERTπŸ”₯πŸ’₯
Anything below this is a spoiler
You have been warned
___________________________________________________
___________________________________________________

Initially the cover confused me, as Rosha was described as having blonde hair and green eyes. The girl on the cover looks nothing like that description. However, at the end, when Rosha is actually revealed to be Sharon, the cover makes a lot more sense. Sharon is described by Brady in the second to last chapter as having light brown hair and blue eyes. Coincidentally enough, that is the exact description of the girl on the cover.

________________________________________

One thing about this book that I didn't really like was when Jon was killed off. I understand that it had a purpose because Brady couldn't find out before Rosha/Sharon revealed her secret, but I still didn't like it. Jon was one of the only characters I liked, and, like I mentioned previously, he was actually my favorite character. When he died, I was disappointed and kind of annoyed, solely because he was such a good, caring friend to Brady and was just overall a kind person.
___________________________________________________
___________________________________________________
πŸ‘SPOILERS OVERπŸ‘

Overall, this was a really enjoyable book despite how unlikable Brady was. I didn't see the twist coming, which was interesting. I rate this book a 4 out of 5 stars. It would've been rated higher due to the twists, emotions, and shock I felt, but I hated how unlikable and obsessive Brady was. 

That's it for this review! I hope you enjoyed it! 


See you Thursday, 


Lexi KπŸ–Œ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged!

I enjoy hearing feedback or opinions by readers.

HOWEVER,

Every comment is moderated.

Any comment will be approved as long as it follows this blog's guidelines.

Any comments that don't adhere to the rules listed below will not be published onto posts.

1. No comments with profanity, vulgarity, or lewd content (if you won't say it in front of kindergarteners, elementary schoolers, teachers, or your grandmother, don't say it here; keep language G)

2. No spam comments

3. Keep comments on-topic

4. No derogatory comments (i.e. ableism, colorism, racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, or transphobia [though not limited to the examples listed here])

5. No attacks to any particular group of religious peoples (including, but not limited to: Anti-Catholicism, Anti-Christianity, Anti-Muslim, and Anti-Semitism)

Thank you for your cooperation!

Happy commenting! =D