Thursday, December 23, 2021

My Favorite Holiday/Christmas Movies

Welcome back to Musings of an Arthritic Artist!


Today I'm going to be listing my favorite holiday/Christmas movies. These movies aren't in any particular order. Each of these movies has a synopsis, courtesy of IMDB. 


This post is shorter than many of my other ones, primarily because I didn't know what to say about them.


Let's get into the post!


Elf (2003)

Raised as an over-sized elf, a human travels from the North Pole to NYC to meet his biological father who doesn't know he exists and is in desperate need of some Christmas spirit.

Elf is a modern-day classic. My family and I watch this movie every year in December. 


A Christmas Story (1983)  

In the 1940s, a young boy named Ralphie attempts to convince his parents, his teacher and Santa that a Red Ryder BB gun really is the perfect Christmas gift.

If I had to pick one Christmas movie to be my family's Christmas movie, it would definitely be A Christmas Story. This is a movie my mother and I occasionally turn on even if it isn't December. It could be June and this movie could be on. This is a movie that my family and I quote pretty frequently. It's just such a good movie.


The Santa Clause (1994)

When a man inadvertently makes Santa fall off of his roof on Christmas Eve, he finds himself magically recruited to take his place.

This is another movie my family and I watch every year. It's funny. I wouldn't place this as high on my favorites list as some of the other movies in this post, but it's still one my family and I watch every year. 


Home Alone (1990)

An eight-year-old troublemaker must protect his house from a pair of burglars when he is accidentally left home alone by his family during Christmas vacation.

Who doesn't like Home Alone? It's funny and an overall good time. This movie has been out 31 years and it never gets old. Of all of the movies in this film franchise, the first one is my favorite. 


Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964)

A misfit reindeer and his friends look for a place that will accept them.

This is a classic Christmas movie. Who doesn't love Rudolph? As a child, my empathy levels usually shot through the roof while watching this movie, solely because I didn't understand why everyone was so rude to Rudolph. I still don't fully understand it to be honest, but it doesn't hit me as hard emotionally as it used to.

Despite that, I loved this movie. It's a movie my family and I typically watch every year in December. It's a cute movie and a holiday classic.


Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and the Island of Misfit Toys (2001)

When the Evil Toy Taker takes all of Santa's toys, it's up to Rudolph and his friends Hermey, Yukon Cornelius and the Abominable Snowman "Bumbles" to stop him and bring Christmas to the children of the world.

This movie takes place after the events of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. I love the music for this movie. As a child I related greatly to the toys on the Island of Misfit Toys. 

The animation in this movie isn't the best, but it's a cute enjoyable movie that has good music and a heartwarming story.


The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Jack Skellington, king of Halloween Town, discovers Christmas Town, but his attempts to bring Christmas to his home causes confusion.

This is technically more of a Halloween movie, but my family and I typically toss this on the TV for both Halloween and Christmas. It isn't the first Christmas movie we toss on (that's usually A Christmas Story), but it is one we tend to toss on. 


The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (2018)

A young girl is transported into a magical world of gingerbread soldiers and an army of mice.

Many people didn't like this movie, but I loved it. I liked the story of The Nutcracker and the Mouse King by E.T.A Hoffmann, which I read many years ago. I saw the Moscow Ballet's Great Russian Nutcracker a few years ago at a local venue, and I absolutely loved it. 

When I heard that Disney was going to release a movie based on the Nutcracker, I knew I had to see it. This is a new movie that I've tossed on every year for the past couple years. I've watched it at least 3 times. 


That's it for this post! I hope you enjoyed it! 


Until next time, 


Lexi KšŸ–Œ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged!

I enjoy hearing feedback or opinions by readers.

HOWEVER,

Every comment is moderated.

Any comment will be approved as long as it follows this blog's guidelines.

Any comments that don't adhere to the rules listed below will not be published onto posts.

1. No comments with profanity, vulgarity, or lewd content (if you won't say it in front of kindergarteners, elementary schoolers, teachers, or your grandmother, don't say it here; keep language G)

2. No spam comments

3. Keep comments on-topic

4. No derogatory comments (i.e. ableism, colorism, racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, or transphobia [though not limited to the examples listed here])

5. No attacks to any particular group of religious peoples (including, but not limited to: Anti-Catholicism, Anti-Christianity, Anti-Muslim, and Anti-Semitism)

Thank you for your cooperation!

Happy commenting! =D