Thursday, November 4, 2021

Book Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (spoiler free review)

Welcome back to Musings of an Arthritic Artist! Today I'm going to be doing a book review. This review is for Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas.


I read this book last year. There will be spoilers for this book, so if you haven't read this book and wish to, I wouldn't recommend reading this review.


Let's get into the review!

Throne of Glass follows Celaena Sardothien, an 18-year-old assassin. At the beginning of the novel, she is imprisoned and held in a slave camp called Endovier. Prince Dorian, the Crown Prince of Adarlan, offers Celaena a chance to compete with other assassins and thieves. The prize is a chance to serve as the King’s Champion, and eventually won her freedom after serving the king for four years.

The plot itself is very intriguing. As for the writing, it fell flat for me. This novel is told in third-person perspective, which is fine. I have no problem with third-person perspective.

It’s just that this novel has varying perspectives. We follow Celaena, Dorian, and Chaol, the Captain of the Guard. Sometimes the POV changes mid-chapter. It can get confusing and annoying. 

The writing isn’t fantastic, but it isn’t horrible either. It’s just kind of in between. It just seemed mediocre to me. If I’m not mistaken, this was Sarah J. Maas’s debut novel. If so, it definitely reads as such. Hopefully these books get better. I didn’t hate this book. It just wasn’t my favorite.

________________________________________

One thing I really liked about Throne of Glass was that Celaena used weapons while also embracing her femininity. She did get on my nerves a few times, but overall she was fine. She wasn’t a great character, but she wasn’t awful either. I found her to be boring sometimes but that might’ve just been the writing. I’m not completely sure.

The characters are interesting, but I didn’t connect to any of them. I think that’s why this isn’t one of my favorite books. I’m a character-driven person, so if the characters aren’t compelling enough or I can’t connect with them, then the story isn’t as enjoyable to me. 
________________________________________

Overall, this novel was enjoyable. It was easy to get through and didn’t require me to think too much. Despite how hard the writing was to get through sometimes, I did genuinely enjoy the story. It was simplistic and the plot was easy to follow. I gave this novel 4 out of 5 stars.

That's it for this review! I hope you enjoyed it! 


Until next time, 


Lexi K🖌

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged!

I enjoy hearing feedback or opinions by readers.

HOWEVER,

Every comment is moderated.

Any comment will be approved as long as it follows this blog's guidelines.

Any comments that don't adhere to the rules listed below will not be published onto posts.

1. No comments with profanity, vulgarity, or lewd content (if you won't say it in front of kindergarteners, elementary schoolers, teachers, or your grandmother, don't say it here; keep language G)

2. No spam comments

3. Keep comments on-topic

4. No derogatory comments (i.e. ableism, colorism, racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, or transphobia [though not limited to the examples listed here])

5. No attacks to any particular group of religious peoples (including, but not limited to: Anti-Catholicism, Anti-Christianity, Anti-Muslim, and Anti-Semitism)

Thank you for your cooperation!

Happy commenting! =D