Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Book Review: Confessions of a Murder Suspect by James Patterson (spoiler free review)

Welcome back to Musings of an Arthritic Artist! Today I'm going to be doing a book review. This review is for Confessions of a Murder Suspect by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro.


I read this book during the beginning of quarantine last year.


Let's get into the review!

This book follows a teen girl named Tandy Angel, who is a suspect in the death of her parents, Malcolm and Maud Angel. Tandy is a suspect along with her three siblings in their parents' mysterious deaths as Tandy was the last person who saw them alive.

The writing for this novel was very interesting. Tandy was the very definition of an unreliable narrator. Typically, it's very easy to trust a main character, especially in mystery novels, however--with how this book is written--it is downright impossible to get a read on the protagonist. It's a difficult book to predict because of this.
________________________________________

The plot itself was very intriguing, and the novel itself isn't very long despite being 372 pages long. The chapters are so short that it's a breeze to get through even though it's an average length book. It's very easy to read a few chapters when you have the time, and it's a very easy novel to binge-read. I was able to start and finish it in one day, which I found incredibly nice.

The plot in of itself is pretty simplistic and straightforward. There's nothing incredibly intricate about it, however the alibis and backstories that the characters had made me very curious about who the culprit in this murder mystery was. 
________________________________________

There was at least one cliche that got on my nerves that occurs in many YA mystery novels, and that is the 'oblivious/stupid' detective that the protagonist runs circles around despite the detective doing their job longer and having more experience. That was the main thing that annoyed me.

One of my favorite things about this novel was the sibling dynamics. As I've mentioned in numerous posts, I love reading books with siblings in them. They make the stories more interesting, fun, and more relatable (at least for me since I have a sibling of my own). This book fit what I wanted at the time. I wanted a mystery novel, but I also wanted a book with siblings, and this book fit the mold almost too perfectly.
________________________________________

Confessions of a Murder Suspect wasn't my favorite book, nor was it the best book I've ever read, however, it was incredibly enjoyable and quick. Despite it being a mystery novel, it didn't make me think too much, which was nice since I wanted to read something lighthearted and fun during the beginning of quarantine. This book successfully got me out of reality/the real world and into a murder mystery that was quick. 

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. It wasn't the best mystery novel, and the writing wasn't anything special either, but it made for an enjoyable day.

That's it for this review! I hope you enjoyed it! 


See you Thursday, 


Lexi K🖌

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged!

I enjoy hearing feedback or opinions by readers.

HOWEVER,

Every comment is moderated.

Any comment will be approved as long as it follows this blog's guidelines.

Any comments that don't adhere to the rules listed below will not be published onto posts.

1. No comments with profanity, vulgarity, or lewd content (if you won't say it in front of kindergarteners, elementary schoolers, teachers, or your grandmother, don't say it here; keep language G)

2. No spam comments

3. Keep comments on-topic

4. No derogatory comments (i.e. ableism, colorism, racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, or transphobia [though not limited to the examples listed here])

5. No attacks to any particular group of religious peoples (including, but not limited to: Anti-Catholicism, Anti-Christianity, Anti-Muslim, and Anti-Semitism)

Thank you for your cooperation!

Happy commenting! =D