Thursday, September 16, 2021

Book Review: Nightblood by Elly Blake (spoiler filled review)

Welcome back to Musings of an Arthritic Artist! Today I'm going to be doing a book review. This review is for Nightblood by Elly Blake, the third and final book in the Frostblood Saga


Because this is a sequel, there will be spoilers for Frostblood and Fireblood, so if you haven't read those and wish to, I wouldn't recommend reading this post. Since this is the last book in the series, there will also be spoilers for this book in this review.


Let's get into the review!


For a small recap: At the end of the first book, Ruby destroys the Frost throne and the Frost King is killed by the Minax, which was inside the throne. After killing the ruler, the Minax attaches itself to Ruby, who is able to control it, but is still unable to completely block out its possessive tendencies. It isn't explained until Nightblood about why Ruby can host the dark spirit without dying.

In this book it is confirmed that Ruby is a Nightblood, meaning that she is the "True Vessel" of the Minax. This race was created by Eurus, the god of the east wind, and he created Ruby as the first Nightblood. The unique thing about these Nightbloods is that they can host the Minax without dying. The introduction to Nightbloods technically came in Fireblood, but at the beginning of this novel was only a possibility. It hadn't been confirmed yet. 

The plot is very simplistic like the other two, but because this is a sequel to the others, it is more intricate, and there are more stakes. 

I was shocked when Arcus was killed, but ecstatic when he was brought back to life. Normally, I would partially hate this, however in this case, I loved it. Normally, this would cheapen the death for me, but I thought it was done pretty well. I love how there was basically a happily ever after, even though it's a fantasy novel with characters that die. 

________________________________________ 

I still really love the characters in this series. Ruby and Arcus are so cute. I love the two of them. All of the characters in this series are fascinating. Some of the side characters are barely there, but they are still interesting, and make the plot more intriguing than it already is. 

Arcus and Ruby will always have a special place in my heart. Their relationship is enjoyable to follow. They aren't perfect. They make mistakes. They argue. But at the end of the day, the two of them grow closer because of it, their bond strengthening.
________________________________________ 

This last book took me the longest of the trilogy to read, though it still wasn't too long. I read it within eleven days, which is simultaneously slow and fast for me. 

I really liked the conclusion to this series. It wasn't rushed. I love these characters and this world. Writing these reviews is making me want to re-read the series, but I don't have the time right now. This series didn't disappoint, though it did surprise me. 

I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did, and I'm glad to say that this is the first trilogy I've read where I've rated every book 5 out of 5 stars on Goodreads. Usually the first two are fives, but the last one is a 3 or 4 (i.e. Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard and The Hunger Games). I've now had another series that has accomplished this (The Kane Chronicles), but the Frostblood Saga accomplished this first.

This was a fun trilogy to read, and it is now one of my favorites. These characters are fantastic, and I like coming across female protagonists I can actually root for and love, as that is rare in most of the books I read. I'd recommend this series to anyone who enjoys YA, Fantasy, and Romance. If you want a kind of enemies-to-lovers romance, I'd highly recommend this series. 

I'm kind of upset that this was the last book, but I was satisfied with the ending. It left me wanting more because I love these characters and the world, but the story felt complete.

That's it for this review! I hope you enjoyed it! 


Until next time, 


Lexi K🖌

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged!

I enjoy hearing feedback or opinions by readers.

HOWEVER,

Every comment is moderated.

Any comment will be approved as long as it follows this blog's guidelines.

Any comments that don't adhere to the rules listed below will not be published onto posts.

1. No comments with profanity, vulgarity, or lewd content (if you won't say it in front of kindergarteners, elementary schoolers, teachers, or your grandmother, don't say it here; keep language G)

2. No spam comments

3. Keep comments on-topic

4. No derogatory comments (i.e. ableism, colorism, racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, or transphobia [though not limited to the examples listed here])

5. No attacks to any particular group of religious peoples (including, but not limited to: Anti-Catholicism, Anti-Christianity, Anti-Muslim, and Anti-Semitism)

Thank you for your cooperation!

Happy commenting! =D