Thursday, September 23, 2021

Book Review: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (spoiler filled review)

Welcome back to Musings of an Arthritic Artist! Today I'm going to be doing a book review. This review is for Clockwork Angel, the first book in The Infernal Devices. This series is a prequel spin-off of The Mortal Instruments series.


Let's get into the review!


Clockwork Angel is the first book in The Infernal Devices series, which--as I mentioned in the introduction--is a prequel spin-off of The Mortal Instruments. I have been wanting to read this series for a while, but I knew that I had to read City of Bones and City of Ashes first (I'm reading by publication order). While the original three books in The Mortal Instruments series weren't a favorite of mine, I did definitely enjoy Clockwork Angel.
________________________________________ 

This story follows Tessa Gray, an American girl, as she tries to locate her missing brother in London. She crosses paths with the Shadowhunters, including Will Herondale and Jem Carstairs, the two mysterious boys she is attracted to.

Clockwork Angel is a mix of Historical/Speculative Fiction and Urban Fantasy, because this story takes place in 1878. The plot has the standard "Down-worlders" (paranormal creatures like vampires, demons, warlocks, werewolves) that The Mortal Instruments has.
________________________________________ 

Most people who love this series love Will, and I do, but I don't. I actually like Jem a bit more than Will. He's a bit more level-headed. On a certain level, I relate to him more, but we'll see what happens. I love that Jem needs a cane. 

One complaint I had about The Mortal Instruments (the first three books at least), was that none of the quotes are memorable. There were a couple that were more memorable in this one, most notably one said by Jem.
"Whatever you are physically, male or female, strong or weak, ill or healthy--all those things matter less than what your heart contains. If you have the soul of a warrior, you are a warrior. Whatever the color, the shape, the design of the shade that conceals it, the flame inside that lamp remains the same. You are that flame."
This is something Jem tells Tessa. I love this quote, especially the first sentence. I relate to this so much. 
________________________________________

I find this book to be more enjoyable than City of Bones, the first book in The Mortal Instruments series. I love that there was no incest plot in this book. I've read one incest plot too many. I'd rather not read that again. I hope the rest of the series isn't a letdown. I'm excited to read the last two books in this series. 

I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads. It was enjoyable, and out of all the Shadowhunter books I've read, I'd consider re-reading this one the most out of the other ones.

That's it for this review! I hope you enjoyed it! It's shorter than most of my other ones, but I didn't know fully what to say about this book, as much as I liked it.


Until next time, 


Lexi K🖌

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged!

I enjoy hearing feedback or opinions by readers.

HOWEVER,

Every comment is moderated.

Any comment will be approved as long as it follows this blog's guidelines.

Any comments that don't adhere to the rules listed below will not be published onto posts.

1. No comments with profanity, vulgarity, or lewd content (if you won't say it in front of kindergarteners, elementary schoolers, teachers, or your grandmother, don't say it here; keep language G)

2. No spam comments

3. Keep comments on-topic

4. No derogatory comments (i.e. ableism, colorism, racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, or transphobia [though not limited to the examples listed here])

5. No attacks to any particular group of religious peoples (including, but not limited to: Anti-Catholicism, Anti-Christianity, Anti-Muslim, and Anti-Semitism)

Thank you for your cooperation!

Happy commenting! =D