Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Book Spotlight: My Top 10 Illustrated Books

Welcome back to Musings of an Arthritic Artist!

 
Today's post is going to be my personal top 10 illustrated books. I'd say picture books, but a few of the books on this list aren't picture books. 


These books aren't fully ordered. Most of these are tied for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place, so I won't number them. 


Let's get into my list!


Togo by Robert J. Blake

You can’t truly see how beautiful these illustrations are from a simple photo like this. The illustrations in this book are done in oil paints. This book is gorgeous. If I were to buy illustrated books in the future (which is most likely inevitable because of my career choice [author-illustrator]), I would definitely buy this one. I read this around eight years ago, but I’ve never forgotten it.

Togo is about the dog (Togo), who was Leonhard Seppala's lead sled dog during the 1925 serum run to Nome. You know, the serum run that Balto got all the fame for, despite Togo covering more land and going over more dangerous trails. This isn't to say that Balto shouldn't have gotten accolades for it. He certainly should have. After all, he did complete the run, but at the same time, Balto wouldn't have had the chance to travel the serum the rest of the way if it weren't for Togo, so it should really have been a team effort.

I'm definitely glad that Togo is getting more recognition now (starting in 1997 with a statue [albeit way smaller than the Balto statue] in New York, which used to be in Central Park, but is now in Seward Park), thanks partially to the Disney+ adaptation (which my sister and I watched and would re-watch). 

However, there were more under the rug mentions and recognitions of Togo in books. The main two I can think of are Togo by Robert J. Blake (the one pictured above; published in 2002), and Togo by Kate Klimo (published in 2014) which is the fourth book in the Dog Diaries series for children. I have checked out the latter before, but I never read it. I do still really want to read it. 

Anyway, Togo is one of the best picture books I have ever read, which is saying a lot, considering I've read at least 1,165 picture books in the last ten years (that's only counting the books that are documented on my Goodreads; that's not counting ones I read before I got a Goodreads account [though there are very few; I used to hate reading], nor the picture books that I've forgotten to count over the years [which has happened a lot])

I've read other Robert J. Blake books that I'd consider honorable mentions (Akiak: A Tale From the Iditarod and Swift)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

This book is one of the reasons why I didn't title this post: Book Spotlight: My Top 10 Picture Books. If you've never heard of this book, this is a children's chapter book. You may be wondering, "Why is this on here, then?" or "Why does it have a Caldecott Medal?"

This is because The Invention of Hugo Cabret is the first children's novel/chapter book ever to receive the Caldecott Medal award, and in my opinion, this book couldn't be more deserving. According to Brian Selznick, this book is "not exactly a novel, not quite a picture book, not really a graphic novel, or a flip book or movie, but a combination of all these things." 

If you have heard of Brian Selznick before, chances are it's because he did the 20th anniversary editions of the Harry Potter series (I love those covers). He also wrote Wonderstruck (which my sister read, but I haven't) and The Houdini Box.

My mother and I watched Hugo (the movie adaptation released in 2011) before reading the book it was based on. On a separate note, I have to say that Hugo is one of my favorite book-to-movie adaptations. 

This book is 533 pages long, which is actually quite long for a children's/middle grade, however, in all actuality, the book is actually about 300 pages because 284 pages is just pure pencil drawings or photographs.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret, follows 12-year-old orphan, Hugo Cabret as he lives in a train station in Paris in the 1930s. This is a historical fiction novel. I don't want to say much more about it, because I feel as if it's the kind of book that you have to experience for yourself. It has a lot of historical elements sprinkled in (as it should), and gives a good introductory insight into the history of film and cinema.

Overall, I love this book, and like Togo, would buy this book for my collection, just so I could re-read it dozens of times. I would highly recommend this book if you:

1. are the type of person who loves the illustrations in picture books but hates that they are so short

2. enjoy film and the history of cinema

3. enjoy historical fiction novels

4. or are interested in reading all the Caldecott Medal winners (my mother and I had started doing that years ago, but we never finished; more books were awarded [obviously], and our library didn't have all of them).

This book (and the movie) caused my mother and I to spiral into a rabbit hole of film history. Both the book and movie reference original films, such as The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat Station (viewable on YouTube; film was released in 1895), which was one of the original films created. It was a 50 second silent film that was made by the Lumière Brothers, who were thought of to have the first public screening in film history. The train arrives at the station and ends up out of frame, which caused the audience then to get startled because they thought the train was really coming toward them!

Both the movie and book reference Georges Méliès (who is crucial to the plot), a French film director known for special effects and films such as A Trip to the Moon (1902; also available on YouTube; loosely based on From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne), which is regarded as one of the most influential films in cinema, and The Impossible Voyage (1904). He made over 500 films, but only about 200 have survived through war and other trauma.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of black and white movies (because of two reasons: I've always loved color and two, I nearly went completely colorblind because of a medication I was taking [long story; maybe I'll discuss it in the future]), however, I enjoyed watching The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat Station and A Trip to the Moon with my mother, and have since watched both a few times. Around the time that I watched the movie and read the book, I actually drew a picture of a scene in A Trip to the Moon (the scene where their ship [a capsule shaped like a bullet] crashes into the Man in the Moon's eye).

The Golden Mare, the Firebird, and the Magic Ring by Ruth Sanderson

The Golden Mare, the Firebird, and the Magic Ring is a story based on Russian folklore. 

The illustrations in this book are very realistic. I honestly don't have much to say about this book. I checked this out from my local library because the cover is breathtaking. The inside didn't disappoint.

According to Goodreads, I guess some people didn't like the illustrations in this book because it was the author's normal style. I wouldn't know; I haven't read any more of her books, but I love the illustrations in this one.

Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes by Rick Riordan (illustrations by John Rocco)

Honestly, there isn't much I can say about this book. I'm fairly certain that these illustrations were done digitally but don't quote me on that, and quite frankly, it doesn't matter to me whether they were done digitally or traditionally; the illustrations are still gorgeous.

This story tells the stories of the Greek myths that involve heroes (Hercules, Perseus, Atalanta, etc). Following the format of Percy Jackson and the Olympians, this is told in the first-person narrative of our favorite Riordanverse hero: Percy Jackson. 

This book gives a child friendly account of the Greek myths (because everyone who reads them knows they are laden with more adult content), while being entertaining. This book isn't exactly a picture book, though it isn't exactly a novel either, like The Invention of Hugo Cabret. These books are around 400 pages long.

Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes is illustrated by John Rocco, the same artist responsible for every US cover of the books in the Riordanverse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, The Heroes of Olympus, The Trials of Apollo, Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, and The Kane Chronicles), which means he already has a good track record, in my opinion. No one will ever convince me that those covers (plus this one and the one below) aren't gorgeous and are some of the best ones in middle grade.

Percy Jackson's Greek Gods by Rick Riordan (illustrations by John Rocco)

This is the companion book that goes with Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes. This one follows the same format (Percy Jackson narrates the myths), however the myths are different. Instead of the heroes, this book focuses on myths involving the Greek mythological gods (Zeus, Athena, Poseidon, Apollo, Hera, etc.).

This book has the same type of illustrations as Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes. I feel as if I said everything I need to say about this above, so I'll leave this one here.

Pierre the Penguin: A True Story by Jean Marzollo (illustrations by Laura Regan)

Pierre the Penguin: A True Story tells the story of Pierre, an African penguin who lives at the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco (prior to his death from renal failure in 2016). Pierre molted and ended up with bald spots on his body.

It tells the story of how an aquatic biologist took care of him after she noticed how much he was shivering (Pierre wouldn't swim much because he would get cold and could die from hypothermia). She tried many different measures, including a heat lamp, but these proved to be ineffective in the long-term. 

She came up with a solution. She collaborated with a wetsuit manufacturer to design a wetsuit custom fitted to Pierre's body. It had Velcro, so it could be adjusted if Pierre gained or lost weight, meaning he never had to get refitted for one. This proved effective and he began swimming with other penguins, wearing an all-black wetsuit.

I loved the illustrations in this book, and I loved learning about Pierre (especially since he was a penguin; penguins are my favorite animals). 

Whales Passing by Eve Bunting (illustrations by Lambert Davis)

Whales Passing is a story about a boy and a father who are watching from a shore as Orca whales (are also called killer whales, though they are really a species of dolphin) swim in the ocean. The boy has a very imaginative mind and envisions what their life must be like under the sea. He imagines conversations that they may have.

Overall, it's a very simple story, but I enjoyed it when I read it and the illustrations look both realistic and animated, which I really like.

Titanicat by Marty Crisp (illustrations by Robert Papp)

Titanicat is a picture book that follows fictional Jim Mulholland, who has signed on to be a cabin boy for the Titanic. One of his duties is taking care of the ship's cat (tortoiseshell breed). Sometime during the book, the cat cannot be found and the Titanic is about to take off. Jim has to find her before the ship casts off.

The illustrations in this book are gorgeous (as are, in my opinion, all of the books in this list). The complicated thing about describing picture books is that they are so short that sometimes there isn't much to discuss.

Titanicat is a simple historical fiction picture book that introduces the RMS Titanic for young readers, while avoiding the tragic side of the ocean liner. 

A Mother's Journey by Sandra Markle (illustrations by Alex Marks)

A Mother's Journey is a picture book that talks about a mother emperor penguin's voyage to find food, which is full of hardships and struggle.

I loved reading about the mother emperor penguin's journey. To me, it feels very much like a Mother's Day book. The mother is trying to make her way across a harsh landscape, avoid predators that wish to eat her, and get home to her mate and newborn chick before she starves.

Okay. I understand that that may not fully seem "cheerful", but in my opinion, it really showcases how much work mothers have (regardless of species), and how much she'll do for her child/children.

Sergeant Reckless: The True Story of the Little Horse Who Became a Hero by Patricia McCormick (illustrations by Iacopo Bruno)


Sergeant Reckless: The True Story of the Little Horse Who Became a Hero is a biography of Sergeant Reckless, a Mongolian horse who was the daughter of a race horse. She was sold by a Korean stable boy to members of the United States Marine Corps, and was intended to be a packhorse.

She quickly become a part of the unit and served in the Korean war. Her duties were carrying supplies and ammunition, and she sometimes helped to evacuate wounded.

Her military career lasted nine months, where she did 51 solo trips to resupply troops on the front lines. She was wounded in combat twice. In 1953, she was given the battlefield rank of corporal. In 1954, she was battlefield promoted (promoted while deployed in combat) to sergeant, many months after the war ended. Following the war, she was given military honors, the most notable of which were two purple hearts and the Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal.

Afterward, she made television appearances and attended the United States Marine Corps birthday ball. In 1959, she was given the title of Staff Sergeant.

This was a really interesting story. I had never heard of Sergeant Reckless, though I was glad that I eventually did.

If you couldn't tell by now, I really enjoy picture books that involve animals or historical fiction, particularly if the illustrations are gorgeous.

That's the end of my top 10 list of illustrated books!


I hope you enjoyed the post!


See you Thursday,


Lexi K🖌

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged!

I enjoy hearing feedback or opinions by readers.

HOWEVER,

Every comment is moderated.

Any comment will be approved as long as it follows this blog's guidelines.

Any comments that don't adhere to the rules listed below will not be published onto posts.

1. No comments with profanity, vulgarity, or lewd content (if you won't say it in front of kindergarteners, elementary schoolers, teachers, or your grandmother, don't say it here; keep language G)

2. No spam comments

3. Keep comments on-topic

4. No derogatory comments (i.e. ableism, colorism, racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, or transphobia [though not limited to the examples listed here])

5. No attacks to any particular group of religious peoples (including, but not limited to: Anti-Catholicism, Anti-Christianity, Anti-Muslim, and Anti-Semitism)

Thank you for your cooperation!

Happy commenting! =D